Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Teachers believe in the moon



Ask any teacher.  They'll be able to tell you when it's a full moon--without looking outside at night.   How?  That's probably the day that it took a full 10 minutes for the class to settle in and get quiet.  Perhaps the same day when two verbal fights had to be mediated, and when three different young ladies broke down in tears over broken nails, promises or hearts.  When I walked outside on my 28th birthday, at an ungodly early hour, I was slightly confused at what I was seeing.  

     My first thought was--bad omen?  
    
     Whilst waiting for Panera to open, I scrolled through Facebook.  Thank you facebook post-happy people; I quickly learned it was a lunar eclipse.  According to space.com, "Lunar eclipses occur when Earth's shadow blocks the sun’s light, which otherwise reflects off the moon. There are three types — total, partial and penumbral — with the most dramatic being a total lunar eclipse, in which Earth’s shadow completely covers the moon.
The last lunar eclipse was on Oct. 8, 2014. "

     Did it affect my day?  I honestly cannot remember.  This week was such a whirlwind, I didn't know which way was up.  It was one of those weeks where it was Tuesday, and in a blink of an eye, I was wrapping up the week.    Between cheer/dance practice and teaching, I managed to do a few fun things:

I woke up to this on the lunar eclipse day.  Presents!

We had a field trip on Friday to Skateland!
HOW FUN!  Here is a fellow teaching strapping on
the skates.
Gifts from my sister; Octopus and Whale Squishable.  THANKS SIOBHAN!


The boys getting ready to race

My door!  Our Collections theme is fear, so I had students
look up and illustrate a phobia.  They had some pretty good ones :)
In case you can't read it, it says, "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
(Probably the Lupophobic)."

     I had a blast at the roller rink.  Aside from two things; I dropped the ball on turning in some lunch orders for some students.  That, and during the last half hour of the day, we had like five injuries in succession.  After the boys had a race and the ladies had a race, they called any teachers on the floor.  
Remember that student I gave a detention to in my last post?  He was the first one to point and shout, "Ms. M!"  

     I waited for anyone else to come out onto the floor so I wouldn't be the only one to race.  Luckily, Mr. C (pictured above) and a paraprofessional Mr. K came out to race.  Mr. K took the lead pretty quickly, and I was doing OK--trying my darndest to catch up-- until all of my momentum turned into an epic barrel roll.  All I remember is tripping, then knees, back, knees, back.  Later I found out that Mr. C wiped out as well, but more like a cartoon character losing their footing, then suddenly falling all at once.  I wish someone had taken a video, but it probably didn't look as awesome as I imagined it did.  All the kids kept asking, "are you OK?!" I assured them I was just fine, then followed up with asking how awesome my wipe out was.
      "Um...it looked like it hurt a lot."

    Making memories. 









No comments:

Post a Comment